Republic of Eraclea!
A steady growth of foreign tourists, especially from Germany, has been recently recorded.
On 7 May 2009 Eraclea Mare was awarded the “3 Sails” by the environmental NGO Legambiente. The city has been awarded the “Blue Flag” from the Foundation for Environmental Education every year from 2007-2009 for the cleanliness of its beaches and seawater.
Eraclea Mare is known for its pinewood and the “Mort Lagoon” (Italian: Laguna del Mort).
The Mort Lagoon, an unusual natural formation, was caused by the overflowing of the Piave river in 1935, whose bed was modified in its last stretch after a large flood.
The Lagoon stretches between the Eraclea’s Lido and the mouth of the Piave river and it is a sea-lagoon, being supplied with water only by the flood-tides. Still uncontaminated, the Mort is characterized by shallow and calm waters with a sandy and muddy seabed, rich in phytoplankton.
The city’s economy is mostly based on agriculture and tourism, because of its 6 km-long beach (Eracleamare).
San Donà di Piave, 10 km away, has Trenitalia trains to Venice and Trieste. Venice Airport and Treviso Airport are 20 and 39 km. away to the west and north of the city. Treviso Airport specializes in low cost airlines.
- Paolo Lucio Anafesto, (697-717), first Doge of Venice
- Marcello Tegalliano, second Doge of Venice (717–726)
- Orso Ipato, (726-737), third Doge of Venice
- Angelo Participazio, (811-827), 10° Doge of Venice
- Saint Floriano bishop of Oderzo with sede in Eraclea (…-620?)
- Saint Tiziano bishop of Oderzo with sede in Eraclea (620?-16 January 632?)
- Saint Magno, first bishop of Eraclea (632?-638?)
- Angelo Correr, bishop of Eraclea (1406-1410) (Pope Gregorio XII)
- Giovanni Contarini bishop of Eraclea (1427)
- Eraclea’s Tourism Portal You can find helpful information about accommodation, Hotels, excursions, etc. in Eraclea.
- Eracleamare’s Portal Non-profit portal with some information and utilities about Eraclea Mare.
- (Google Maps)
- Eracleamare in Flickr
- Eracleamare’s Blog Blog with some Touristic information and utilities.
- Webcam live service on Eraclea’s beach Free provided by Eracleamare.net